Walk in the pastures of Vallon St Martin
• Self-guided tour, 2 days
• Easy tour, children above 7 years old
• Altitude : 1760 to 2657 m (max)
• Departure and arrival in Le Roux
The discovery of the St Martin valley, located in the immediate vicinity of Le Roux, allows you to familiarise yourself with the medium mountains by a varied route through the Mélézin (larch forests) and the mountain pastures with their softened relief. You will be seduced by the change of scenery while hiking with ease and safety.
- Stages -
Day 1 : Le Roux (1760 m) - Vallon St Martin (2270 m or more)
Elevation gain : 510 m (minimum) - Distance : 5,7 km - Walking time : 2-3 hrs
The first day, you join the St Martin valley and the path which leads to the pass, either passing through the hamlet of Montette (1940 m) where you can admire the pretty chapel recently renovated by the association for safeguarding the heritage "Queyras Passion", either by the Bois de Mamezel path (departure after St Antoine Chapel). After a peaceful climb, you arrive in the mountain pastures where you may have the opportunity to meet the shepherd and his flock of sheep that graze the area from June to October. Then, you will choose the altitude of your bivouac place according to the desires and motivations of each (possibility on the flat area on the left bank of the torrent around 2270 m).
Day 2 : Vallon St Martin (2270 m or more) - Le Roux (1760 m)
Elevation gain : small - Elevation loss : 510 m (minimum) - Distance : 5 km - Walking time : 2-3 hrs
For the return journey, there is a third route option. In the Mamezel woods at an altitude of around 2000 m, a path will lead you to the very pretty alpine hamlet of Pré Roubaud (1950 m) which dominates the Roux d'Abriès and the valley of torrent Bouchet.
- Practical information -
* They are intended to carry your luggage. Gregarious animals, they will appreciate your company but also that of their fellows and beyond 3 people, it would be better to travel with 2 donkeys for the comfort and well-being of all.
* Their equipment : Each donkey is equipped with a halter, a lunge, a wooden packsaddle and 2 large bags hung on each side of the packsaddle. A donkey can carry 30 kg, that is the luggage of 2 to 3 hikers.
The load must be perfectly balanced (15 kg on each side). Above the animal, only light loads (mattresses, etc.) can be placed, in order to avoid exhausting or unbalancing it.
* Donkey food and night : in most lodges, a park is set up for donkeys and we provide the necessary equipment to tie them up at night.
Preparation for your hike
We advise you to arrive at Le Roux the day before your departure in order to get to know and prepare your hike (study of the route). Accommodation is possible at the Cassu gite, opposite our base camp.
On the morning of departure, allow at least one hour for the preparation of the donkey and the organization of luggage.
This hike can be done from June to October. From 15 September, some accommodations (gîtes, refuges, camping) may be closed.
This circuit appears on the IGN map (1/25000 th) 3637OT - Mont Viso, St Véran, Aiguilles, Queyras.
For this hike, no lodging in a gîte but bivouac under tent (equipment not provided).
You must arrive with the necessary equipment for the duration of your stay. For the water, bring a water bottle per person and Micropur tablets.
In the Hautes-Alpes the climate is very contrasted: the heat of full sun during the day and surprising freshness at night.
So plan :
* walking shoes and light shoes for the evening,
* a change of clothes, a warm sweater, a hat for the sun,
* rainwear (waterproof poncho),
* water bottle, flashlight, notebook, pen, lighter, knife, string,
* pharmacy, protective cream and sunglasses,
* plastic bags to wrap the things in the bag (very effective in case of rain) and to bring your trash down,
* stove and kitchen equipment, tent and sleeping bag (if camping)
According to regulations, your dog can accompany you on the trails of the Queyras Regional Natural Park provided that it is kept on a leash. After a period of adaptation and mutual observation, he will cohabit with the donkeys. However, it must be taken into account that this does not simplify the organization of your hike because it is sometimes difficult to manage everything at the same time: the donkey or donkeys, the children, the luggage, the map to follow the right path and... the dog ! Especially since it is sometimes necessary to keep away from the donkey with the dog on a leash and that there can be problems with the dogs that protect the flocks of sheep in the pastures. Dogs cannot sleep in the accommodation and, in general, a shelter is provided for them outside. Remember to let us know if you plan to hike with a dog.
Your car and various equipment
During your hike, your car stays in one of the car parks in the hamlet of Roux d'Abriès.
- Prices and contact -
It includes the rental of a donkey equipped with a packsaddle, a halter, a lunge and two saddlebags.
Your accommodation and the possible transport of donkeys must be paid in addition.
2 days with 1 donkey: € 120
For more information :
06 82 48 09 99 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To book this stay, please download and complete our rental contract and attach a deposit of 30% of the amount.
Download a printable version of this hike (Pdf)